The GFWC Viera Woman's Club, Inc
(revised September 19, 2013)
ARTICLE I - NAME
The name of this organization shall be the GFWC Viera Womans's Club, Inc. (hereafter referred to as the Club). The Club shall be located in the area bounded by Pineda Causeway to the south, entire City of Rockledge to the north, Indian River to the east and St. Johns River to the west.
ARTICLE II - OBJECT
The object of this Club shall be to participate in charitable, educational and civic activities and to develop a friendly spirit and promote sociability among its members.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERS
Section 1. Any woman residing within the geographical boundaries of the Club shall be eligible for active membership. After meeting the requirement of attendance at two events, one of which is a business meeting and attending a Club orientation, she shall provide an application for membership signed by one active member and it shall be submitted to the Executive Board. A two-thirds vote of the Executive Board shall elect the applicant to membership. A person so elected shall be declared an active member of the Club upon payment of the annual dues for the first year.
Section 2. The annual dues of active members shall be a Club fee listed in the Standing Rules plus the required State and National dues, payable on or before May 31 of each year. The Treasurer shall notify all members in arrears, and those whose dues are not paid within thirty days thereafter shall automatically be dropped from membership and must re-apply.
Section 3. Associate membership for those wishing to join from outside our geographical area shall have the right to attend meetings and speak; they shall not have the right to hold office, vote or make motions. Associate members shall pay a surcharge of $10.00 added to the Club fee plus the required State and National dues on or before May 31 of each year. The Treasurer shall notify all members in arrears, and those whose dues are not paid within thirty days thereafter shall automatically be dropped from membership and must re-apply.
Section 4. Upon the signed recommendation of five members, and by a majority vote at the annual meeting, honorary life membership may be conferred upon a member who shall have rendered notable service to the Club. Members with fifty (50) years or more affiliation with GFWC shall automatically be an honorary member. An honorary life member shall have none of the obligations of membership in the Club, but shall be entitled to all privileges except those of making motions, of voting, and of holding office.
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS
Section 1. The officers of the Club shall be President, First Vice-President, Second Vice-President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section 2. At the January meeting, in the even numbered election year, a Nominating Committee of five members shall be elected by the Club. It shall be the duty of this committee to nominate candidates for the office to be filled at the Annual Meeting in April. The Nomination Committee shall report at the March meeting before the election at the Annual Meeting, nominations from the floor shall be permitted.
Section 3. The officers shall be elected by ballot to a term of two (2) years. Their term of office shall begin at the close of the May meeting in the election year. If there is only one nominee for an office, the vote may be by voice. The Executive Board shall fill a vacancy in office, except that of the President, for the unexpired term. The First Vice-President shall become President should a vacancy occur in that office.
Section 4. No member shall hold more than one office at a time, and no member shall be eligible to serve more than one consecutive term in the same office.
Section 5. Duties of Officers
A. The President shall:
1. Preside at the meetings of the Club and the Executive Board.
2. Appoint Community Service Program, Standing and Special Committee Chairmen, subject to the approval of the Executive Board.
3. Call a meeting of the Club or Executive Board whenever she deems it necessary.
4. Appoint a Parliamentarian who shall serve on the Executive Board without a vote.
5. Be the official representative of the Club at meetings of the District and State.
6. Be an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee.
7. Be responsible for the annual Leadership report.
8. Perform such other duties as outlined in the by-laws and the Parliamentary authority.
B. The First Vice-President shall:
1. Preside in the absence or disability of the President.
2. Assume the office of the President if a vacancy occurs in that office.
3. Chair the Philanthropic Committee.
4. Be responsible for annual reports to include annual report writing training for CSP Chairmen and work with them for the timely submission of reports.
5. Maintain an inventory of all non-financial assets, property and archives of the Club, indicating where they
are being stored.
6. Perform such other duties as may be required.
C. The Second Vice-President shall:
1. Preside in the absence or disability of the President and the First Vice President.
2. Be Ways and Means Coordinator.
3. Appoint event chairmen and committees as necessary.
4. Be responsible for the annual Fundraising report.
5. Be a member of the Philanthropic Committee.
6. Perform such other duties as may be required.
D. The Recording Secretary shall:
1. Keep all minutes of the Club and Executive Board.
2. Keep in a book the Bylaws, leaving every other page blank. Amendments, in addition to being recorded in the minutes, shall be immediately entered n the page opposite the article amended with a reference in red ink to the date and page of the minutes where the amendment is recorded.
3. E-mail to the President and the Executive Board minutes within ten (10) days of the next Executive Board meeting. A copy of the general meeting minutes shall be e-mailed to the President and Board members within ten (10) days of the general meeting.
4. Arrange for a board member to substitute when she is unable to attend general or Executive
5. Perform such other duties as may be required.
E. The Corresponding Secretary shall:
1. Issue written notices as required or via e-mail.
2. Attend to correspondence as directed by the President or the Executive Board.
3. Assist the President with meeting agendas and provide copies of the agenda at the general meeting.
4. Conduct the correspondence of the Club that does not fall within the province of the Community Service Programs.
5. Notify all board members of Executive Board Meetings.
6. Order and distribute Club stationery and forms to authorized Club members when necessary.
7. Collect Club mail and write appropriate thank-you notes.
8. Appoint an assistant to substitute when she is unable to attend General and Executive Board
9. Send a copy of the Club’s newsletter to the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, to the Florida Federation of Woman’s Clubs, and to the District 6 Director.
10. Perform such other duties as may be required.
F. The Treasurer shall:
1. Be custodian of all funds.
2. Issue checks upon order of the Club or Executive Board, after the President and one other officer other than the Treasurer sign vouchers or instructions. Vouchers without receipts will not be reimbursed without the express approval of the Executive Board.
3. Have two elected officers sign all checks over $100.00.
4. Keep full and accurate books of account which shall be the property of the Club, and open to inspection by order of the Club or Executive Board.
5. E-mail copies of monthly and annual reports to the President and Secretary for inclusion in the minutes.
6. Keep the books of account, together with vouchers, cancelled checks, statements and Reports of the Treasurer. These shall be submitted for audit at the end of the fiscal year. An Audit Committee of three impartial members may be appointed by the President to perform the audit. The Treasurer should be available at the time of the audit to answer questions.
7. Sign receipts and maintain a receipt book for all monies received and make deposits promptly.
8. At each Executive Board meeting provide the Membership Chair with an up-to-date list of paid members.
9. Shall serve as a member of the Philanthropic Committee.
10. Perform such other duties as may be required.
ARTICLE V - MEETINGS
Section 1. The general meetings of the Club shall be held on the 2nd Monday of each month from September to May inclusive unless otherwise ordered by the Executive Board of the Club.
Section 2. The general meeting in April shall be known as the Annual Meeting and shall be for the purpose of electing officers, receiving reports of officers and committees, and for any other necessary business.
Section 3. The preliminary budget shall be prepared by an appointed Committee in April to cover the period from June 1 to September general meeting and shall be presented to the membership for adoption at the May meeting.
Section 4. The budget shall be prepared by the Committee after the close of the fiscal year which is from June 1 to May 31 and shall be presented to the membership for adoption at the September meeting.
Section 5. Special meetings may be called by the President or by the Executive Board or upon written request of twelve Members of the Club. The purpose of the meeting shall be stated in the call. Except for emergency, at least five (5) days notice shall be given.
Section 6. Twenty (20) members of the Club shall constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE VI - EXECUTIVE BOARD
Section 1. Elected officers shall constitute the Executive Board. Upon approval of the Executive Board, Community Service Program (CSP) Chairmen shall serve on the Executive Board with all voting rights and privileges. A CSP Chairman may ask a co-chairman within her CSP to attend an Executive Board meeting and vote in her absence.
Section 2. The Executive Board shall have general supervision of the affairs of the Club between its business meetings, fix the hour and place of meetings, make recommendations to the Club, and perform such other duties as are specified in these Bylaws. The Board shall be subject to the orders of the Club, and none of its acts shall conflict with action taken by the Club.
Section 3. Chairs of special events and standing and special committees may be invited for their presentation only or may submit a written request one (1) week prior to the meeting.
Section 4. Board meetings will be held monthly from August to May inclusive, and can be set by the President. Care should be taken that enough time elapses between the Board meeting and the General meeting so certain actions can be taken or cause to be corrected. Special meetings of the Board may be called by the President or shall be called upon the written request of three members of the Board. All members must be contacted and the purpose of the meeting stated in the call. Except in cases of emergency, at least two (2) days notice shall be given.
Section 5. The quorum of the Executive Board shall be a majority.
ARTICLE VII - COMMUNITY SERVICE PROGRAMS (CSPs) AND COMMITTEES
Section 1. The CSPs shall be: Arts; Conservation; Education; Home Life; International Outreach, Public Issues and GFWC Signature Project Domestic Violence.
Section 2. Standing Committees shall be Membership, Hacienda and Communications and Public Relations. The Club or Executive Board may establish other Standing Committees from time to time. The President, subject to the approval of the Executive Board, shall appoint the Chairmen of these committees.
Section 3. The quorum of Standing and Special committees shall be a majority.
Section 4. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee.
ARTICLE VIII - PARLIMENTARY AUTHORITY
The rules contained in the current edition of Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Club in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these Bylaws and any special rules of order the Club may adopt.
ARTICLE IX - AMENDMENTS
These By-laws may be amended or revised at any general meeting of the Club by a two-thirds (2/3) vote provided that:
1. Notice of intention to vote on any proposed amendment or revision of the By-laws shall be given at the meeting preceding the general meeting in which the vote is to occur, or
2. A copy of the proposed amendment or revision shall be mailed, e-mailed or handed out to every voting member at least two weeks prior to the general meeting in which the vote is to occur.
ARTICLE X - DISSOLUTION
Should this Club dissolve and by due process of law shall dissolve, all assets of whatever nature which shall remain after just debts and liabilities have been satisfied shall be used for such educational or public purpose or purposes as will complete or continue undertakings for the public benefit which have been undertaken by the Club. No part of the net income shall inure to the benefit of any member or be distributable to its members or officers.
1. The annual dues of active members shall be $30.00 plus the required State and National dues.
2. The annual dues of associate members shall be $30.00 plus the required State and National dues, plus a surcharge of $10.00.
3. Club annual dues (including State and National dues) will be paid by each member once during the calendar year, and will be due on or before May 31. Annual dues are a flat charge and will apply regardless of when the member joins.
4. The Club will pay for the meals of invited program participants and guests of honor.
5. The Club will send a copy of the newsletter to the General Federation of Women’s Clubs and to the Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs and to the District 6 Director.
6. The yearbook will contain at minimum a list of officers and chairmen, meeting dates, By-laws, Standing Rules and The Collect. The Club will send a copy of the yearbook to the District 6 director at the time of publication.
7. The directory will contain a list of officers and chairmen, roster of member’s name, address, husband’s name (if applicable), phone number, email address, meeting dates and The Collect. The Club will send a copy of the directory to the District 6 Director at the time of publication.
8. The information contained in the yearbook and directory is privileged. The names, addresses, phone numbers and/or email addresses may not be sold or used for any purpose other than Club business or correspondence.
9. The national Collect shall be read at each general meeting.
10. Newly elected officers will attend the final Executive Board meeting held after the May general meeting. Both past and newly elected officers must attend.
11. The Treasurer will bill a member when a reservation is made and not cancelled by the stated date prior to a luncheon or special event.
12. Club expenditures/charitable gifting not in the approved budget and exceeding $1100 must be brought to the Executive Board for approval. Expenditures/charitable gifting not in the approved budget and exceeding $250 must be approved by the majority of the Executive Board and the majority of the general membership. In an emergency, the Board may approve expenditures not in the approved budget up to $500 and must ask for ratification by the membership at the earliest date.
13. No Sanding Committee member may spend more than $50 without approval of the President, First Vice-President or Treasurer.
14. Members must wear their nametag to all GFWC Viera Woman’s Club functions.
15. Members are expected to support at least one fundraiser per year by donation of time and/or money.
16. The President or her alternate will represent the Club at GFWC Florida Fall Board, GFWC Florida Spring Convention and District 6 workshops and meetings in accordance with the annual budget.
17. In the event of the death of a Club member a memorial gift in the amount of $50 will be given in her name to a charity of the family’s choosing.
18. The Philanthropic Committee shall consist of the first Vice-President as Chairman, the Treasurer, Second Vice President and four general members. They will meet as required to make recommendations to the Executive Board on charitable disbursements.
19. If a fundraiser is to be held to benefit specific charities, the Philanthropic Committee and the Executive Board must approve the designated charities before the event is advertised to the community.
Mary Stewart's Collect
Keep us, oh God, from pettiness;
let us be large in thought, in word, in deed.
Let us be done with fault-finding,
and leave off self-seeking.
May we put away all pretense
and meet each other face to face,
without self-pity and without prejudice.
May we never be hasty in judgment
and always be generous.
Let us take time for all things;
make us to grow calm, serene, gentle.
Teach us to put into action our better impulses,
straight forward and unafraid.
Grant that we may realize it is the
little things that create differences;
that in the big things of life, we are at one.
And may we strive to touch and to know
the great common human heart of us all.
And oh Lord God, let us forget not to be kind.